Zogenix, Inc.’s Zohydro ER – New drugs approved for excruciating pains
- Molecule: Hydrocodone bitartrate
- Brand Name: Zohydro ER
- Company: Zogenix, Inc
- Category: CNS – Opioid agonist, extended-releas
- Indication: Zohydro® ER is an opioid agonist, extended-release, oral formulation of hydrocodone bitartrate indicated for the management of pain severe enough to require daily, around-the-clock, long-term opioid treatment and for which alternative treatment options are inadequate.
- USP: It’s to be kept in mind that Zohydro ER is the only drug in the market that specially focuses upon the Central Nervous System. The drug doesn’t contain any acetaminophen, which in the past has been responsible for intoxicating the liver.
- Approval Status: Approved by USFDA. It can be launched in market
However, it will be better if it doesn’t arrive in the market before the new formulation is complete. Zohydro ER will surely be in demand, especially among the aged because they are the most vulnerable to the diseases of the Central Nervous System. It can’t be said for sure how effective Zohydro ER will be to a person who, for argument’s sake is 70 years old.But for those who have been showing initial signs of a disease, such patients will benefit a lot from this drug.
Central Nervous System Diseases are also creeping into lower age groups such as 35-40 and so on. In this period the disease is mild, almost unnoticeable, but it is still there and it’s best that the patient starts taking medications right away. Zohydro ER will turn out to be quite a money maker for the company once the drug hits the market. Specialty drugs are treated as absolute rarities in the market and because of the fact that Zogenix, is the only company which is offering such medication this medicine is double rare.