The Marketing department is responsible for developing and implementing marketing plans to promote the company’s products to the appropriate audiences. Every Company in the industry has, over time, developed its own Marketing Organization. In some firms, the department is organized by the Category, such as Prescription- Products Marketing and OTC Products Marketing. In other firms, marketing is divided into therapy area, such as Cardiovascular or Respiratory Product. In still others, brand teams are formed to drive the activities for the product.
In short, Product Management Team is called as PMT.
Hierarchical structure of the Product Management Team
1-2 year experience
3-5 years experience(varies with performance
5-8 Years Experience + Performance
9-12 Years Experience + Performance
12-15 Years Experience + Performance
- The Major role of the Marketing Department and the Product Management Team is to enhance the top line and the bottom line by managing the Product line of the company. A robust Product pipeline comprising of established Brands in growing therapeutic segments and new Product launches are essential for steady business generation and growth of the Organization.
In a nut shell, the Product Management Team is expected to successfully launch New Products in the Market as well as play a crucial role in Marketing Strategy formulation and Strategy execution (through the field staff) leading to Brand Building and Brand consolidation.
Keeping all the above in perspective, the role of the Product Management Team becomes crucial for successful commercialization operations of the Organization.
Major Skills Required by Pharma Product Manager
Sales Skills (added advantage
Job Description Pharma Product Manager
- Responsible for providing the sales team with the necessary technical expertise to enable them to sell the product. This involves printed and electronic promotional material, product training, and relevant clinical papers.
- Responsible for reviewing product data to ensure that the field force is kept up to date on new developments regarding the companies or competitors products.
- Act as point of first reference for all product related inquiries and work collaboratively with colleagues in Clinical Research and Regulatory to address any issues that may arise.
- Close liaison with the field force to assess the response to and suitability of current promotional material and to ensure that the printed promotional material is being used optimally.
- Design market research projects to assess customer attitudes to the current product range and new product introductions. Either conduct this research with in-house staff or manage an outside agency ie initial identification of suitable partner, definition of responsibilities, communication plan, divisions of responsibility, milestones, contract with company, review transcripts and reports, and recommend action plans from the research.
- Assist with the development of the annual marketing plan and for controlling advertising, promotion and sales aids in accordance with the annual marketing plan.
- Responsible for preparing product forecasts, and constantly monitoring inventory levels held at central and interstate warehouses including liaison with production (locally and globally) to ensure supply timelines.
- Liaise with the advertising agency regarding the product campaign including journal advertising, direct mail and conferences.
Career Prospects in PMT
Pharma Product Management-An action-packed world that is full of strategies, full of tactics, a world of intelligence, investigations, insights and much more. Product management, as a career option, is very actively sought after by pharmacy graduates today. A field that was not very well known to the average pharmacy graduate of yesteryears who primarily pursued jobs in either production, quality control (QC) or R&D, this field now holds great appeal too many youngsters. The tremendous growth in the pharmaceutical industry has created an increasing demand for trained professionals and the industry is reckoned as a fast growing sector of the Indian economy.
There are many career opportunities with pharma and allied industries for qualified professionals; the industry has opportunities that are range from sales executives to high-end specialists in the Research & Development.
The opportunities can also find the in areas like Sales & Marketing Management, Market Research, Drug Distribution Management, Brand/Product Management, Business Development, Medical Publication/Journalism and other plenty of opportunities.
Pharma Product Management Practical Training Courses:
1 Year Program in Pharma Product Management
1 Month Program in Pharma Product Management
Skill Enhancer Program
Learn How to Prepare Pharma Visual Aid
Learn How to Prepare and Protect Pharma Brand Logo