MorphoSys AG, and Constellation Pharmaceuticals, Inc. announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement whereby MorphoSys will acquire Constellation for $34.00 per share in cash, which represents a total equity value of $1.7 billion.
- Constellation is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company using its expertise in epigenetics to discover and develop novel therapeutics that address serious unmet medical needs in patients with various forms of cancer.
- Constellation’s two lead product candidates, pelabresib (CPI-0610), a BET inhibitor, and CPI-0209, a second-generation EZH2 inhibitor, are in mid- to late-stage clinical trials and have broad therapeutic potential to offer meaningful benefits to patients with various hematological and solid tumors.
- Pelabresib has the potential to be a first- and best-in-class BET inhibitor and is currently in Phase 3 clinical trials for myelofibrosis, a bone marrow cancer that disrupts the body’s normal production of blood cells.
- CPI-0209 is currently in Phase 2 with best-in-class potential for treating hematological and solid tumors. Constellation’s pipeline also includes numerous preclinical compounds.
Benefits of the Deal
- Accelerates Growth Strategy with Exciting Mid- to Late-Stage Product Candidates. The transaction accelerates MorphoSys’ strategy to grow through proprietary drug development and commercialization. Constellation’s lead product candidates, pelabresib and CPI-0209, have broad potential, with expected approvals across a range of oncology indications in the coming years. Constellation’s lead compounds fit well with MorphoSys’ proven clinical development, regulatory and commercial capabilities, and MorphoSys is well positioned to rapidly advance and unlock the potential of the Constellation portfolio.
- Bolsters Position in Hematology-Oncology and Expands into Solid Tumors. Constellation adds an attractive, complementary pipeline of highly innovative late- to early-stage cancer therapy candidates, augmenting MorphoSys’ existing pipeline in hematologic malignancies and expanding into potential therapies for solid tumors.
- Strengthens Cutting-Edge Research and Technology Organization. The transaction leverages MorphoSys’ expertise in biologics and Constellation’s expertise in epigenetics and small molecule discovery platforms to develop a broad range of oncology therapies. Constellation adds exciting, pioneering science and attractive preclinical compounds targeting epigenetic regulators. Together, MorphoSys’ and Constellation’s highly talented research and development teams will strengthen earlier stage and emerging science to bring exciting new cancer therapies to patients.
- Anchored by Strategic Funding Partnership. Royalty Pharma’s strategic funding partnership will fuel the expansion of the combined company’s capabilities to help accelerate the development, approval and commercial reach of breakthrough cancer treatments. This long-term commitment will help deliver significant value to all stakeholders.
Under the terms of the merger agreement, an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of MorphoSys will promptly commence a tender offer to acquire all of the outstanding shares of Constellation’s common stock at a price of $34.00 per share in cash. Following successful completion of the tender offer, MorphoSys will acquire all remaining shares not tendered in the offer through a second step merger at the same price as in the tender offer.
MorphoSys plans to pay an all-cash consideration for the transaction. The tender offer is not subject to a financing condition.
The purchase price of $34.00 per share in cash represents a premium of approximately 70% to Constellation’s volume-weighted average price for the last five trading days.
Consummation of the tender offer is subject to various conditions including a minimum tender of at least a majority of outstanding Constellation shares, the expiration or termination of the waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act and the receipt of any approvals or clearances required to be obtained under the applicable antitrust laws, and other customary conditions. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of 2021.
Following close, MorphoSys will remain headquartered in Munich, Germany, and will maintain a significant commercial and R&D presence in Boston, Massachusetts.
Strategic Funding planning regarding this deal
MorphoSys also announced that it has entered into a long-term strategic funding partnership with Royalty Pharma plc (Nasdaq: RPRX) (“Royalty Pharma”) (together with the Constellation transaction, the “Transactions”). The terms of the agreement between MorphoSys and Royalty Pharma provide for the following, under certain conditions and upon closing of the transaction with Constellation:
- $1.425 Billion Upfront Payment: Royalty Pharma will make a $1.425 billion upfront payment to MorphoSys, supporting its growth strategy. The proceeds will be used to support the financing of the Constellation transaction and development of the combined pipeline.
- $350 Million Development Funding Bonds: Royalty Pharma will provide MorphoSys with access to up to $350 million in Development Funding Bonds with the flexibility to draw over a one-year period.
- Milestone Payments: Royalty Pharma will make additional payments of up to $150 million to MorphoSys upon reaching clinical, regulatory and commercial milestones for otilimab, gantenerumab and pelabresib.
- Royalties: Royalty Pharma will have the rights to receive 100% of MorphoSys’ royalties on net sales of Tremfya®, 80% of future royalties and 100% of future milestone payments on otilimab, 60% of future royalties on gantenerumab, and 3% on future net sales of Constellation’s clinical stage assets (pelabresib and CPI-0209).
- Equity Investment: After completion of the transaction and subject to the required approvals of the management board (Vorstand) and the supervisory board (Aufsichtsrat) of MorphoSys, Royalty Pharma is expected to invest $100 million in a cash capital increase of MorphoSys under an authorization to exclude subscription rights of existing shareholders. The new MorphoSys shares will be listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
Jean-Paul Kress continued, “We are thrilled to announce this partnership with Royalty Pharma, which is providing more than $2 billion to fuel our proprietary drug development and commercialization. We are confident they will be a strong financial partner for years to come, enabling us to fund our growth and – with the addition of Constellation’s innovative pipeline – bring our attractive new candidates to patients.”