AstraZeneca Pharma India Limited (AstraZeneca India) has announced the launch of its innovative anti-diabetic combination once-daily therapy Xigduo XR for treatment of adults with type 2 diabetes.
- Xigduo XR is a product of AstraZeneca Group and is approved in 61 countries to date including US, EU & Japan.
- It combines two anti-diabetic agents with complementary mechanisms of action, the widely recommended first line monotherapy (metformin) with a clinically trusted dapagliflozin, an inhibitor of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2), in a once-daily oral tablet.
- This combination backed by the XR (extended release) technology provides 24-hour sugar control offering physicians and patients a new approach to early achievement of treatment goals.
- The drug is indicated as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus when treatment with both dapagliflozin and metformin is appropriate.
- XIGDUO XR is available in multiple dosage strengths of dapagliflozin and metformin HCl extended-release including 10/500 mg and 10/1000 mg and the starting dose can be individualized based on each patient’s current treatment regimen.
- It is not recommended for patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus or diabetic ketoacidosis.
- It XR joins the family of SGLT2i brands (Forxiga) in AstraZeneca’s strong diabetes portfolio. Earlier in 2015, AstraZeneca India had launched the first CDSCO approved SGLT2 inhibitor in India under the brand name Forxiga (dapagliflozin).
- In fact the company offers products in three novel and fast- growing classes of diabetes treatments: DPP4, SGLT-2 and GLP-1.
- It has two patented brands-Onglyza (Saxagliptin) and Kombiglyze XR in the DPP4i segment, Bydureon in the GLP1 Analog treatment segment and FORXIGA & XIGDUO XR in the SGLT2i segment.
Positioning of Xigduo XR
Xigduo XR novel once-daily combination therapy of dapagliflozin and metformin can address an unmet medical need by offering a comprehensive and convenient treatment option for the Indian phenotype patient predisposed to comorbidities such as blood pressure and weight gain.
SGLT2 inhibitors are a relatively new class of medicines that provide comprehensive control through HbA1c reduction, blood pressure control and weight reduction along with clinically proven better cardiovascular outcomes.
Brand Logo of Xigduo XR