South Korean pharmaceutical company Hanmi Pharmaceutical Co. said Thursday that it has reached a license agreement with global drugmaker Sanofi to develop a portfolio of experimental, long-acting diabetes treatments, valued at up to 3.9 billion euros ($4.2 billion).
Strategic Deal Brief:
- Sanofi will receive a worldwide license to develop and commercialize three investigational diabetes treatments, including a drug called efpeglenatide that belongs to a newer class of medicines called GLP-1 Receptor Agonists that are used to control blood sugar.
- Hanmi will keep an exclusive option to co-commercialize the products in Korea and China.
- Hanmi will receive an upfront payment of 400 million euros and is also eligible for up to 3.5 billion euros in development, registration and sales milestones, as well as double-digit royalties on net sales.
- The value of the agreement marks the largest license deal for a South Korean pharmaceutical firm ever.
- Sanofi will obtain an exclusive worldwide license to develop and commercialize the treatments, called the “Quatum Project.”
Overview of Sanofi’s Diabetes Segement
Diabetes is one of the segment where Sanofi is one of the leading player across the globe.
Followings are the Sanofi’s products in the field of diabetes are:
- Lantus® (insulin glargine), a long-acting human insulin analog, market leader for branded insulins (IMS source). Lantus® is available is more than 120 countries worldwide.
- Toujeo® (Insulin glargine).
- Apidra® (insulin glulisine) a rapid-acting human insulin analog.
- Insuman®, a range of rapid- and intermediate-acting human insulins.
- Lyxumia® (lixisenatide) is a once-daily prandial GLP-1 receptor agonist.
- Amaryl®/Amarel® (glimepiride), a sulfonylurea-class hypoglycemic.
- Afrezza® (insulin human) is a rapid-acting, inhaled insulin. Only available in the United-States.
Followings are the Sanofi’s medical devices in the field of diabetes are:
- ®Lantus®, Apidra® and Insuman® are also available in the form of Lantus® SoloSTAR®, Apidra® SoloSTAR® and Insuman SoloSTAR® injection pens.
- ClikSTAR®, a reusable pen for Lantus® and Apidra®, is available in more than 30 countries for patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- AllSTAR® is developed especially for people with diabetes in emerging markets, indicated for use with Sanofi’s insulin portfolio. AllStar® is now available in India.
- JuniorSTAR®, a reusable insulin pen.
Late stage pipeline* of Sanofi shown below –
* Till October 2015